Permissions and Copyright
Materials in the Islamic Heritage Project (IHP) collection are available only for the purposes of teaching and/or individual research. Users may reference, print, or link to digital materials in the IHP collection for teaching, learning, or research purposes.
Any other use, including commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution, requires permission of the Harvard repository that owns the original materials that were digitized for IHP.
With regard to specific items for potential reuse, please use the following links to obtain appropriate reference assistance or to submit a reproduction request form:
- Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Harvard Art Museum: research assistance
- Harvard Law School Library: research assistance
- Harvard Map Collection: contact information, and order inquiry forms
- Houghton Library: policies and permission form
- Harry Elkins Widener Memorial Library, Middle Eastern Division: contact information, and order inquiry forms
Note: The name of the owning repository usually appears with author and title information displayed in the Page Delivery Service. It is also recorded in the catalog records (related links) for IHP’s manuscripts, texts, and maps.
For more information, contact the Open Collections Program.
Material should be cited in standard bibliographical style based on the descriptive information displayed with the item, and must include:
- name of author/creator, including birth and death dates if applicable
- item/collection/record group title; and if applicable, series title, sub-series title
- folder title, if applicable
- item description, if applicable
- call number
- name of the repository that holds the original
- URL of the digital object
See the Harvard College Expository Writing Program publication Writing with Internet Sources: A Guide for Harvard Students for examples of citations conforming to APA, MLA and Chicago styles, starting on page 50.
Linking to IHP
You may link to the Islamic Heritage Project collection from your web site. Please notify OCP staff of the location of these links (send e-mail to ocpadm[at]hulmail.harvard.edu).
Adding Text Links
To add a simple text link with a citation, copy and paste the following HTML code on your site:
<a href="http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/ihp/">Islamic Heritage Project <em>(Open Collections Program, Harvard University Library)</em></a><br>Digitized texts, manuscripts, and maps selected from Harvard University’s libraries, archives, special collections, and museums to support teaching, learning, and research.
Adding Image Links
To add an image link with a citation, copy the desired image to your site and use the following HTML code to accompany the image:
<a href="http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/ihp/" target="_blank"><img src="images/SPECIFY–IMAGE–FILE–NAME–AND–EXTENSION–HERE" border="0" alt="Harvard University Library: Islamic Heritage Project"/><br>From the Islamic Heritage Project digital collection, Open Collections Program, Harvard University Library"></a>